Monday 11 May 2015

First Year Teaching Placement: Day Six

          It's officially my last week being a student teacher! It's kind of nice how I won't have to wake up at 6:30 a.m every morning and now I can finally enjoy my real summer, but in reality I will have to go a whole school year eventually waking up at 6:30 a.m. It's not so bad after a while but I can see it becoming a drag, but at least each day is very different in the classroom which makes it exciting. Anyway, onto today! So we started the morning off with pool and drama so it was basically prep time for Miss. Anderson and I, and she gave me a lot of stuff to photocopy. As I was photocopying, this teacher was like can I use it real quick because my class is going to start soon so I was like sure. And then she broke the machine! She jammed the paper then opened the compartment to take it out but it wouldn't close and then she was like "sorry you probably regret letting me borrow it" and then had to leave because she had a class. Wow it was so awkward, and I was annoyed because now I had to go somewhere else to use a printer, so I went to the office. And I was happily printing away the copious amounts of work, and then the vice principal kept coming in and was like "can I use it for 5-10 minutes" so I was like sure. And then I finished all my printing and went back to the room and Miss. Anderson gave me another package to print so I went back to the printer in the office and the vice principal and I kept colliding because she needed the machine and so did I. And then she was like "can you come back in an hour, I'm doing really important stuff and I need the printer." Initially I was like "rude" but okay I suppose her work is more urgent but not more important so I let her have it. So I went back and told Miss. Anderson and then she gave me other stuff to do like write this problem on the white board so I did that, and when she came back she told me that she talked the the vice principal and she was like "no no she (as in me) was so sweet, I just had a lot to do." Haha, I didn't mean to make such a big deal out of it, it was just something I casually told my host teacher, but anyway crisis was averted.
         Then I believe it was lunch? When Miss. Anderson and I went to drop the kids off in the cafeteria I noticed that one of the students was eating pickled wrapped in ham! Gross! No offence of course, but that must be a very sodium filled meal. Every lunch I basically just listen to the teachers talk because I don't know the students, abbreviations that they use, or their family lives that they talk about. They normally just talk normally and pretend that I'm not there, which I'm totally fine with because I cannot relate to them at all and I have nothing to say about their matters. I really like being the wallflower in this situation because I can just observe and listen.
       After lunch we decided to go watch some band, string, and choir students rehearse for their music night. To be honest, the choir lady is psycho, I understand that she is flustered and under pressure of trying to rehearse the whole ensemble in a limited time but man she was mean! She didn't know how to control her anger really well and she lashed out on students a lot. But other than that, the kids were absolutely adorable, I really enjoyed hearing the choir because their voices were so high and undeveloped.  Then it was a late recess after that and I noticed that some students like Kate, and Jonah were getting more and more attached to me and it was so cute.
       We ended off the day with an intro lesson to ordinal numbers like first, second, third, etc. And Miss. Anderson used methods like shared writing where she made a chart and then had a student draw names and they had to come up and write on the chart, so that involved all the students and made it engaging, great idea actually. So that was basically my day, pretty good and easy going. Also, my sister gave me her TDSB student account so now I can use the wifi and it's so nice. I would bring my phone in my pocket to the washroom and just go on it for a little while haha. Talk about addiction and deprivation.




Until next time!
Suzy Zhang

No comments:

Post a Comment